Luling Main Street’s vision sees our downtown as an inviting destination for residents, businesses, and tourists; preserving and enhancing our rich and unique heritage as a catalyst ensures our continued economic revitalization and development.
Luling Main Street’s mission is to utilize the National Main Street Center’s Four – Point Approach guidelines of Design, Economic Restructuring, Organization and Promotion to encourage preservation, promote patronage of our downtown businesses and historic attractions, and to plan for our community’s positive economic growth.
The program is part of the Texas Main Street Program run by the Texas Historical Commission. Luling became an official Texas Main Street City in 2002. It also is affiliated with the National Trust Main Street Center run by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
The Main Street Four-Point Approach to downtown revitalization within the context of historic preservation has been successful in more than 1,200 towns and cities across the country. These four points include:
- Organization: To establish consensus and cooperation by building partnerships among different groups that must work together to improve downtown: merchants, property owners, bankers, city officials, professionals, chamber members and individual citizens.
- Design: To encourage appropriate, high quality design in the maintenance, renovation and re-use of downtown buildings; to plan and promote infrastructure improvements.
- Promotion: To create a positive image of downtown by developing special events, festivals, and promotions; to market the traditional commercial district’s assets to customers, potential investors, new businesses, local citizens; to promote downtown as a tourist destination through marketing and advertising.
- Economic Restructuring: To strengthen downtown’s existing economic base and to identify market needs and develop programs to meet those needs; to expand the downtown commercial district to meet new opportunities and challenges from outlying development.
The Main Street program also makes the following services available to businesses within the Main Street District:
- Design assistance through the Texas Historical Commission such as architectural site visits and renderings.
- Grant money to assist with facade renovations.